polaroid cameras and passport application ranting

4:53 PM / posted by MadHatter /

i had to go to the post office today with the determination to finalise my passport application once and for all. the whole thing was a fricking dilemma. the appointment was set for 11am so i left work at 10:30, thinking id be there in 15 minutes which should give me a bit of time to fill in the blanks in the application form. upon arriving i was barracaded at the entrance by a long line of people waiting in the passport application/renewal line. 'that's ok' i thought as i struggled to make my way through the human fort to a bench. 'i'm good' i thought, 'yeahhhh..this is good, i'll get it done today without a problem'. i even smiled to myself. life was good, yeah =). i randomly turned to the last page - the guarantors page - and started scanning.
'surname, yep.. given names..yep, electoral details..check..'
then..

'shit'.

i cursed under my breath at 6 blank boxes next to "date of birth" staring back at me. the old chap filling in the postal code of his envelope frowned so i enviously gazed at the numbers in his boxes -_-.

oh yeah, i had switched phones with my mum because she was complaining she couldn't see the buttons. this one is a sony ericsson, small and black therefore pretty hard to spot amongst the other junk floating around. i rummaged through my bag to fetch my it only to find that it wasn't there.

shit. shit. shit.

the time was 10:47, i still had 13 minutes till deadline and figured it was enough time to make it to and back to work if i sped. luckilly for me, the car infront of me got caught speeding on grand prom (hahahaha) while i switched lanes and gunned it to the lights. on the way back i called faiza's landline and spoke to her mother. i must've been panicking because the poor woman didn't understand what i was talking about and thought i was telemarketer, attempting to hang up on me. after the harmless misunderstanding was resolved she told me faiza's birthday (9th august)and continued to engaged in a long conversation with me about uni, faiza and the holidays - up until i parked my car at the galleria. i quickly farewelled, secretly thanking her for not accusing me of forgetting her daughter's birthday and being a bad friend.

the line at the post office was much shorter now and there was nothing stopping me from entering. while waiting i flipped through the form and filled in my mother's citizenship details. chyeah, i spent an good hour this morning fishing around for my parent's citizenship certificates which caused me to be late for work. this time it was a different lady, not as cheerful and nice as the one i had yesterday. she lazilly scanned my form with a bored expression, like she didn't know all the trouble i went through to be standing right infront of her to check it. everything went by smoothly as i watched her mark off the boxes, indicating that the sections were completed fully and correctly. everything was just dandy until we came to the gurantor's page.

the signature wasn't the same as the one on the back of my photo. 'what do you mean it's not the same??' i asked her and she showed me. the problem was this:



i know it's a crappy picture but hey, i did it on paint and i probably got her signature wrong too. big deal, so con artistry and forgery are definately not my forte but whatever. so you see, the signature in black is the one on my application form, the red signature is the one behind my photo. and the problem? the black one is signed with the first and last name on two lines, the red one is signed all in one line.

i felt like the wind was knocked out of me. i had to take another photo in my work-drenched state and i probably looked even more like a dropkick than the previous photos. 'look' she said, 'get her to sign the new photo exactly like she signed on the form then come back tomorrow.' i gave her a deathly stare. then she added: 'don't worry about making an appointment, just come straight to me.' atleast she's considerate.

so yes, another trip to the postie again tomorrow. all this trouble i go through for it. it should be grateful - it better take me to lots of countries one day.



hmmm..i rant a lot don't i? rhetoric, don't answer. i hope you don't think i'm an angry person because i'm not. i like sunflowers for god's sake. umm..what else..oh! i received my (rather expected) offer for uwa today. so i guess that's bye bye to murdoch and murdoch people, and murdoch refectory, and murdoch lecture theatres, and south street and murdoch drive. and hello to mounts bay road, and city food, and ancient buildings, and highschool friends.

that is all for now, my bodypump class awaits. byee!

Labels: ,

1 comments:

Comment by mattypoo on January 21, 2009 at 1:37 PM

LAWL! hell rant :D
but its all good :)
gratz on getting into UWA! :D

Post a Comment

whos.amung.us - visitor maps